What is Chemical Peel ?
Chemical peeling is a procedure when a chemical agent of defined strength is applied to skin which causes a controlled destruction of the layers of the skin that is followed by regeneration and remodelling, with improvement of texture and surface abnormalities.
The concept of skin peeling by chemicals to beautify the skin has been used since time immemorial. Cleopatra used sour milk containing lactic acid & french women used old wine containing tartaric acid as a beauty bath.
FOR WHOM PEEL IS RECOMMENDED:
- Acne ,Acne Scars and pigmentation
- Skin damaged by sunlight
- Facial Dyschromia (Uneven pigmentation on face)
TYPES OF PEEL:
Alpha hydroxy Peels:
Glycolic peel ,Mandalic peel ,Lactic peel ,TCA peel
Beta hydroxy Peels:
Salicylic Acid peel
Jessner’s Solution Peel
Combination Peels :
Many pharmaceutical companies provide branded peels which combine multiple peeling agent s & obviously they have good effects & add some agents to minimise the irritation.
Miami peel ,Veda peel ,Claze peel ,Neostrata glycolic peel ,Tryses peel are such combination peels available in our Clinic.
Depending on the problem i.e acne ,acne scars or melasma or any other needs ,Dermatologist choose proper peel for patient.
TO WHOM PEEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED:
IN A PERSON WHO:
Has shown hypersensitivity to chemical peels in past.
Who has keloid tendency AND Pregnancy.
- Avoid sunexposure mainly between 10.00am-4.00pm.Use physical measures like umbrella ,broad brim hat & cover with clothes when going out for long period.
- Use sunscreens daily 20-30 mins prior going out ,so that it has time to bond with the skin. Use adequate amount of sunscreen, little more than half teaspoonful (3ml) each to face, neck and forearm. Use even on a cloudy day as UV light is still present. Reapply after swimming for more than 40 minutes and after 2 hours while sweating.
- Inform if any prior medicine is going on, especially pain killers, isotretinoin, diuretics, antidiabetics and antihypertensive that you are taking.
- Inform your doctor about all allergies ,skin diseases like atopic dermatitis ,seborrhic dermatitis, eczema, photodermatitis and herpes that you have suffered.
- Do not schedule any important event or vacation for at least 7-10 days after peel. Remove contact lenses before peel.
- Avoid parlour treatments 2 weeks before. Do not bleach, wax, scrub, massage for at least 2 weeks before the peel.
- Use ointments as advised by dermatologist.
- (for males) Do not shave a day before.
- Peeling will be obvious, particularly after 1st peel & it may take up to a week for the skin to return to normal. Stinging, burning, itching, tightness and redness may occur. The skin may look darker and rough, do not get alarmed. Sometimes peeling is not obvious, but the peel will still act.
- Use sunscreen at the interval of 3-4 hrs.
- Wash gently and use cleanser advised by dermatologist.
- Do not use any scrub or abrasive agent.
- Most important – do not pick, peel, scratch, rub or scrub the skin .
- Report immediately if you see crust ,oozing ,pus formation ,excessive redness ,swelling ,burning or pain.